Monday, April 30, 2012

First Meeting with Social Worker

You know, often times, the Lord confirms His will in sweet and encouraging and uplifting ways. We have definitely experienced much of that lately.
Then there are other times that can be just as clear, albeit not so pleasant. I'm referring to those instances when you know that you know that you know that you must be on track because the enemy makes his anger about it so very clear. Kinda like when you spray an ant colony with killer and the scurry around wildly trying to make it stop
Yup, that was our first visit with our social worker today. Andrew ended up having work conflicts arise so I (and the kids) planned to just swing by and pick up the mound of paperwork for us to start on.

Let's just say that the children ran out of patience approximately 2 minutes after we arrived. Both children. Even the one who tends to have much more patience- in fact, he/she had less than the other. So there I was being handed paper after paper (with nice, lengthy explanations of each) by the social worker who is supposed to certify that I am fit to parent an adopted child meanwhile my other 2 are acting like wild beasts who just had their dinner stolen. It was quite humbling, really. And quite an exercise in self-control. After an hour, she walked me out to the car and I wrangled them into their seats. Then I drove home (20 minute drive) to a chorus of synchronized wailing. After 25 minutes of rocking, Chloe finally fell asleep. Wade also went to sleep.
Throughout the whole escapade I was keenly aware that satan had his sights set on me losing it and had all kinds of accusations and lies ready to whisper over me. I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit equipped me to fight the battle in my mind. This isn't the first spiritual warfare we've experienced in this adoption process and I praise the Lord for making it evident to me. Mark this: our enemy is against adoption.
However, in the end I just had to kind of chuckle at his meager and useless attempts. After putting the kids down I found that I had a voicemail from the Chattanooga Times Free Press who is (so randomly!) going to do a profile story on us next Tuesday. It was like the Lord was reminding me that He's got this- Satan may make his attempts to derail but the Lord holds us in the palm of His hand.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I often feel the same way! We are also in the process of adopting from China. We have 4 kids and felt God calling us to adopt. I found your blog through Etsy. God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete